The RES-DHC project (Renewable Energy Sources in the District Heating and Cooling sector) was kicked-off in October 2020 and will focus on increasing the share of renewable energy in district heating and cooling systems across Europe. 15 project partners from 8 countries including research institutes, companies and cities from Austria, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Poland and Switzerland as well as the European umbrella organisation Euroheat & Power, based in Brussels, Belgium have joined forces to drive the decarbonisation of the DHC sector.
The RES-DHC project aims to support key actors, including industry players and policymakers, in achieving the goals of the Renewable Energy Directive RED II. Specifically, the project focuses on the goal of increasing the share of renewable energy in district heating systems by at least 1% annually. In six model regions across Europe, the project is gathering experience and building capacity on how best to transform existing urban district heating systems towards low-carbon supply. The aim is to empower actors along the entire value chain to cooperate with each other and work towards the goal of sustainable heating and cooling. The transfer of know-how and best practice examples from the model regions to other regions should increase the replicability and maximise the impact of the project outcomes.
The 15 project partners from 8 countries are:
- Solites – Steinbeis Research Institute for Solar and Sustainable Thermal Energy Systems (Coordinator, Germany)
- AEE – Institute for Sustainable Technologies (Austria)
- Ambiente Italia s.r.l. (Italy)
- Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes Energy Environment Agency (AURA-EE) (France)
- City of Graz – Environmental Department (Austria)
- Commissariat à l’Energie Atomique et Aux Energies Alternatives (CEA INES) (France)
- Energie Graz GmbH & Co. KG (Austria)
- Euroheat & Power (Belgium)
- German District Heating Association AGFW (Germany)
- HIR Hamburg Institut Research gGmbH (Germany)
- Iren SpA (Italy)
- Planair SA (Switzerland)
- PlanEnergi Fond (Denmark)
- Szczecinska Energetyka Cieplna Sp. z o.o. (SEC) (Poland)
- Verenum AG (Switzerland)
For further information:
Project website: https://www.res-dhc.com/
Follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn !
Text: AGFW and Solites